Tuesday 28 April 2015

Cosplay Planning (Again)

It's that time again. Planning time! I love planning new cosplays. As you might have figured from my previous post, Calgary Expo is done for another year (controversy and all). Which unfortunately for me means no more big expos for a few months, until September which brings Saskatoon Expo (maybe for me) and Edmonton Expo. There's a couple local anime conventions (I don't watch much anime and feel ancient at those things) and a local horror con (maybe), but nothing major for the whole summer!

So my Poison Ivy costume didn't make it to Calgary Expo, but there's actually not too much to do to fix it. I just need to buy a new bra and rip out the elastic on the neckline and resew it in with a bit more stretch to solve the gaping issues I was having. Really, I could do it in an afternoon if I got to work.
Source
Which means it's time to plan some new costumes! I think the costume I want to do the most is to crossplay Jafar from Disney's Aladdin. It will mark my first time crossplaying, but Jafar is one of my favourite villains from one of my favourite movies, so I'm pretty excited to try to pull this off. I get to get a little crazy with his exaggerated shoulders, Probably the toughest thing will be making his snake staff, then getting his goatee right. And finding an Iago plush on ebay that isn't either super ugly or super expensive.
Source
The next costume I want to do is from a comic that I've been really enjoying: Rat Queens! I really like this series so far and have my pre-order in for the second trade. I'm planning to put together a Hannah costume. It should go together without too much difficulty (famous last words), consisting of a skirt, top, jacket and boots, plus styled wig and elf ears. Probably a less recognizable character, but that's ok. We'll see how many Rat Queens fans I can find.

Source
The last thing I am considering is if I want to try to go to Calgary Horror Con and make a costume for the contest. I've been trying to think of a horror costume I'd want to do. The other day I had the idea of doing the Woman in Black. Mostly because I think that most of the historical pieces I would make could be used later for general historical costuming, which I'm also interested in. But that con is in mid June, with gives me just over a month and a half to put together a full Victorian gown and I'm not sure I can do that, since spring/summer are so much busier for me. I'm still looking for more good quality stills of the costume.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or comments or ideas!

2 comments:

  1. These would all be AMAZING. I loved the first "Woman in Black" movie! It freaked me out! Have you ever actually made a Victorian/period piece? That would be so great! I want to check out Rat Queens, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete